app/chip update ideas
ie: 2 conversations & a suggested match-up ness – perhaps everyone does the 3 min by 9am. then there are a couple set assembly places (ie: library, school buildings, theatre/hall, park, ..) – where the app directed/suggested match-ups happen at 10am. (rather than a text – perhaps gps ness directs matches to each other) the 30 min home base group would be determined by that group of 7ish.
update: have till say 10:30 to submit to app/chip.. 1\ non-connect 2\ no-show.. and recieve alt (s) suggested match ups.. chip tweaking thru till 10 30 ish.. (reminder.. this suggested match up is optional..so not huge.. but don’t want no-shows/non-connects to present unnecessary lag time of even a day. however.. lag time unwelcomely welcoming.. ie: quiet in room ness in beginning.. still getting a fresh going every day)
perhaps chip as ai (augmenting interconnectedness, placebo ish, via listening to all the voices everyday) rna – p 344 of Siddhartha‘s the emperor of all maladies.. restoring us to a natural state of self-organizing ness..
and this as – beyond word recognition – (even though assuming by word – google translate ness would be at play) – to idea recognition via some iconspeakish ness.. so there’s no exclusion.. tech simple enough to use.. but complicated (which is what tech loves/does well) enough to capture the 7 bill plus idiosyncratic jargons.. enough.. to match us up.. for the day.. as the day)
this begs daily curiosity at the least via tech as it could be (listening to every voice everyday)
imagine if we just focused on listening to the itch-in-8b-souls.. first thing.. everyday.. and used that data to augment our interconnectedness.. we might just get to a more antifragile, healthy, thriving world.. the ecosystem we keep longing for..
update/idea to add daily options for meet ups – via richard bartlett
maybe a good feature for any social platform: a button on every profile where I can indicate “I would like a 1:1 call with you sometime” and it will let you know if you match with someone, Tinder style
Original Tweet: https://twitter.com/RichDecibels/status/1319576246762807296
match needs to come first.. via self talk.. otherwise.. spending our days as not us.. as people telling people what to do – who to like – et al..
but this is cool extension of c app – not just listen to itch and tell two matches to meet up.. but tell each person 5 or so people that potentially match.. they could then decided and 1 on 1 message any/all.. so wouldn’t just get one match up a day (and your match just got you as only match that day) but now.. have several.. if each person has 5 and who knows how many invites.. but all based of itch (aka: self-talk as data)
Turing’s work on morphogenesis had sketched out a mathematical model wherein simple agents following simple rules could generate amazingly complex structures;
perhaps the aggregations of slime mold cells were a real-world example of that behavior. Turing had focused primarily on the interactions between cells in a single organism, but ti was perfectly resonable to assume that the math would work for aggregations of free-floating cells. and so … keller started to think…. what if shafer had it wrong… what if the community of slime mold cells were organizing themselves…
what if there were no pacemakers..?
keler and segel’shunch paid off dramatically. while they lacke dthe advance visualization tools.. they scratched out a series of equations..
.. that demo’d how slime cells could trigger aggregation w/o following a leader, simply by altering the amount of cyclic amp they released individually, then following trails of the pheromone that they encountered as they wandered through their environment.
whoa.. total app/chip idea… hosted life bits idea… trail rather than proof/prescription…
story in my head…
don’t need mtgs/assemblies/consensus… as we know them…
just need.. each unit/cell/person… listening/consensus ing/ deciding/assessing …. w self……. (self-talk as data) ……and then…. leaving a trail … (hosted-life-bits)… that can io dance…. w others…
as the day… no other orders…
from para…. importance of random wandering.. in that city/trail/forest/….
also… much on Brewster Kahle‘s bit – of alexa et al..
is there a way around this limitation? in fact, a solution exists already… works around the shortcomings of html to create a true learning network that sits on top of web…
first attempt to nurture emergent intelligence online began with the desire to keep the web from begin so forgetful..
brester kahle.. server farm in alexa internet’s basement….. now it houses what may well be the most accurate snapshot of the collective intelligence anywhere in the world: thirty terabytes of data, archiving both the web itself and the patterns of traffic flowing through it..
in just 3 years got bigger than library of congress.. kahle says.. so the questino is.. what dow e do now..?
obsessed with the impermanence of today’s datastreams, kahle.. founded alexa with the idea of taking ‘snapshots’ of the web… anytime a surfer encountered a 404 page not found error… he or she could swiftly consult he alexa archive and pull up the original page..
tool that accompanies you as you browse..more than just resuscitate old web pages.. could make connections between web sites.. that otherwise have been invisible….. how are these connections formed? by watching traffic patterns, and looking for neighbors
in other words.. the associations are not the work of an individual consciousness, but rather the sum total of thousands and thousands of individual decisions, a guide to the web created by following an unimaginable number of footprints..
as kahle says, learning from users is only thing that scales to size of the web….. alexa’s *power of association – this site is like these other sites – emerges out of the **desultory travels of the alexa user base..
*power – so chip/server.. sidewalking hosted life bits.. this curiosity/person.. like this curiosity/person.. in the neighborhood (local)…
h u g e
**desultory – whoa… out of sedultory travels.. that’s whimsy.. as the day…
none of those users are deliberatley setting out to create clusters … to enow the web w much needed structure.. they simply go about their business and the system itself learns by watching… if only 1000… not enough data…. more data.. the system starts to learn..
let’s be clear… alexa makes no attempt to simulate human intelligence or consciousness directly…. you don’t teach the computer to read or appreciate web site design. the software simply looks for patterns in numbers, like the foraging ants counting the number of fellow foragers they encounter per hour
why we don’t want/need tech to be human like.. we’re better off if it’s not judgmental… biased..
we can do that.
we haven’t yet.. but we can.
intelligence of alexa is really the aggregated wisdom of the thousands, or millions of people who use the system..
worth noting.. alexa is not truly a ‘recommendation agent’ it is not telling you that you’ll like the five sites it suggest. it’s saying that there’s a relationship between the site you’re currently visiting and the sites listed on the pull down menu..the clusters that form via alexa are clusters of association, and the links between them are not unlike the traditional links of hypertext.
think about the semantics of a hypertext link embedded in an online article: you don’t translate.. if you like this.. you’l like this.. the link isn’t *recommending another page; it’s pointing out that there’s a relationship… it’s still **up to you to decide if you’re interested in other sites… alexa’s simply there to ***show you were the clusters are
*recommending – h u g e
**up to you – like unschooling mom.. strewing things/options… about
a brilliant site called everything2 employs a neural-net-like program to create a user-authored encyclopedia, with related entries grouped together, alexa-style, based on user traffic patterns,… promising to bring like minds together…. digital-age heirs to the por santa maria..
for many people the distinction persists to this day: we look to our computers for number crunching; when we want cultural advice, we’re already blessed with plenty of humans to consult. other critics fear a narrowing of our aesthetic bandwidth, with agents numbly recommending the sites that everyone else is surfing, all the while dressing their recommendations up in the sheeps’ clothing of *custom-fit culture.
* h u g e
if the computer is, in the end, merely making connections between diff cultural sensibilities, sensibilities that were originally developed by humans and not by machines, then surely the emergent software model is preferable to the way most westerners consume entertainment: by obeying the dictates of advertising….
software like alexa isn’t trying to replicate the all-knowing authoritarianism of big brother or hal, after all – it’s trying to replicate the folksy, communal practice of neighbors sharing info on a crowded sidewalk, even if the neighbors at issue are total strangers, communicating to each other over the distributed network of the web…
– – –
– – –
below started from curiosity app specifics page..
resources/people/ideas/things that already exist:
- vannevar bush – memex
- gary flake – get pivot (z dance)
- neil gershenfeld – personal fabrication
- deb roy – birth of a word logging ness, ie: stacks, deep addresses as commonplace book
- kilian kleinschmidt – switxboard
- ivan poupyrev – project soli
- harald haas – putting lifi chip on everything
- alex lidow – GaN
- alex hayes – cyber w/no agenda
- jason fried – basecamp
- matt mullenweg – automatic, p2, wordpress – 24% of web content – next is 3% – going for all
- jeremy howard – deep learning – ie: as algorithm to match people daily.. with tons of info and 1 hour’s time
- jerry michalski – the brain
- chris messina – on hashtags & convo
- david eagleman – grok vs access
- dave troy – social maps
- benjamin bratton – deep address
- mikey seigel – connecting heart beats et al
- sandy pentland – sociometer – honest signals – idcubed
- tom chi – consciousness/connectedness
- thomas & devani – via wit(dot)ai
- ariel garten – thought controlled computing.. know thyself
- daniele quercia – happy maps
- bracelet makes arm a touchscreen display Design Milk http://t.co/CgRX2GbbMH
- joshua smith – harvesting energy et al – sensor lab
- kipp bradford – sensor ness
- zeiss smart glasses
- talkiq – speech recognition
- sharon goldwater – translate google via neural networks vs transcription
- regina dugan on facebook’s non-invasive brain-computer interface that will let you type at 100 wpm — by decoding neural activity devoted to speech
- giorgia lupi – visual rep
- project soli – google
- e 180 – meet people close to you who want to do/learn same thing
- parts of this: http://cuddlrapp.com/
- tech for local
- consciousness app
- meet up – find your people – using tech to take us back into the world – http://www.meetup.com/
- down to lunch by nikil
instigator collective – more links to connections/ideas
live links here
G couros – possible webs – visuals
below from Rob
A few questions:
1. How about an analog option to the digital app (some examples included in the inspiration list below)?
2. How about pushing the user away from the app as much as possible? Send them to an interesting Twitter account (from a set of curated feeds) or push them to another app for recording thoughts, collecting bookmarks, taking pictures, etc.?
3. How about having the user co-create the app by reconfiguring it in some way or another (adjusting the font, the color, the order, the start page, etc.) or by actually constructing it on their own (not exactly sure how that would work with the digital, but I’ve been sitting on an ide for giving people a candy tin (like Altoids) and having them add things to it like a library card, a museum pass, a tiny compass, a map, a little notebook, a personal totem a la Inception, etc.)?
From Rob – live links here
And some inspiration for further steps, examples of some of the above (almost all of which, if digital, is free):
1. Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt’s “Oblique Strategy Cards”
2. IDEO’s Method Cards
3. Drift Deck
5. A variety of Situationist-inspired and related apps:
Wanderlust Stories http://wanderluststories.com/
Situationist App http://situationistapp.com/ [Banned :( ]
6. Even though I know you already know it and have it, Keri Smith’s How to Be an Explorer of the World:
7. Animal Superpowers
More app insight/thinking/doing:
- cure ios city
- curiosity pitch – (cure)(city) – video
- app/chip update ideas
- more curiosity app
- scenarios in a slidedeck
- Here we are prototyping the app idea at a local coffee house.
- Here we are prototyping the app via the insideout project (connection via story – documenting/trail throughout city)
- Perhaps this site as prototyping the app.
- Here again – the vision/visuals of tech hastening the time between finding curiosity and finding people.
- Working on graphics of app scenarios.
- Here are some more curiosity app specifics.
- A potential kickstarter ready?/waiting to launch.
- the curious boy – the curious girl – short stories
- the longer/original version of this page – curiosity app deeper