things supposedly impossible
from virus ness page:
Resharing this because it’s so good. https://t.co/2eCNeAMpVh
Original Tweet: https://twitter.com/Mlsif/status/1238816261900992512
A thread of things which were supposedly impossible or impractical, which have magically become trivially easy now that # is a reality.
1. Reducing airline travel.
2. Conferences accommodating people with disabilities by offering live stream and/or Skype calls.
3. Government-provided universal basic income so parents can stay home and take care of children.
ie: ubi as temp placebo..
4. Major companies adopting work-from-home policies for all employees.
has to be all of us.. everyday
5. Mass rollout of contactless payments, which the industry has been dragging its feet on.
6. Universities offering remote learning for all classes and all students
7. Suspending mortgage payments and implementing “debt holidays” for a whole country.
8. Detroit finally halting water-shutoffs for residents after six years of predation amidst intense criticism.
9. A moratorium on evicting tenants in the 10th-largest city in the United States.
10. San Francisco staging RVs in the Presidio to provide emergency housing for unhoused people.
11. Iran released 70,000 incarcerated people, many of them imprisoned for nonviolent or political reasons.
I don’t buy the story that “Now that coronavirus has shown us what’s possible in a crisis, maybe these things will become the norm.” No. The people in power have always know what’s possible; they were just lying to you. You have to TAKE their power away. Organize. Unionize.
12. Broadband caps lifted. Those caps were always articial bullsh*t.
i’d add.. virus ness teaching us expo ness (and so.. leaping to a nother way to live) is possible
let’s let go of the irrelevants
and spend our energies on more serious/humane things
mufleh humanity law: we have seen advances in every aspect of our lives except our humanity– Luma Mufleh
‘in undisturbed ecosystems ..the average individual, species, or population, left to its own devices, behaves in ways that serve and stabilize the whole..’ –Dana Meadows
as with everything in this economic crisis, the penguins are realizing what was technically possible all along but prevented by those in power https://t.co/zRoM9dvCLN
Original Tweet: https://twitter.com/ahSHEEK/status/1239593302116184066
@StanLewis_: Since aquariums are shut down, they let penguins wander around the place and it’s honestly the news we need to see. https://twitter.com/stanlewis_/status/1239327724742770689
via lauren fb share (can’t find author):
“And the people stayed home. And read books, and listened, and rested, and exercised, and made art, and played games, and learned new ways of being, and were still. And listened more deeply. Some meditated, some prayed, some danced. Some met their shadows. And the people began to think differently. And the people healed. And, in the absence of people living in ignorant, dangerous, mindless, and heartless ways, the earth began to heal. And when the danger passed, and the people joined together again, they grieved their losses, and made new choices, and dreamed new images, and created new ways to live and heal the earth fully, as they had been healed. ~Kitty O’Meara’~
a nother way book (on modeling another way)
word of mouth: during china’s lock down (not driving et al) .. air cleared so much that estimated 77 000 lives saved
so.. everyone has wifi (mostly to augment out interconnectedness) in the city.. as the day.. (by walking/biking/transit).. doing whatever they want (gershenfeld something else law) because there are no longer the heavy hanging/controlling supposed to’s.. of school/work taking up the hours of the day.. and there is no longer that prison feeling of debt/fear-of-debt.. because we realize we can let go of the silly monopoly/money (any form of measuring/accounting) game we’ve been playing.. relationships get back to pre 10-day-care ness.. and with the time/space for everyone to have the luxury of being ‘quiet in their own room‘.. individual souls get back/to fittingness and collective souls get back/to eudaimoniative surplus
shilpa fb share:
not at all to downplay the suffering and struggle, and tremendous grief and loss in this moment…
and just another perspective…
if this virus leads to:
– universal healthcare
– cancellation of student debt
– universal basic income
– cleaning of the air and water
– massive slow down to fossil fuel industries
– massive slow down to consumerism
– huge amounts of neighborhood and community support
– more care for the elderly, disabled and most vulnerable
– unschooling experiments
– release of prisoners
…and who knows what else?
the US and world will (thankfully) never be the same.
as my friend just wrote, “as far as a rate of return on the apocalypse, this one is
through the roof.”
One enormous, major lesson that I hope people realize in this moment:
Resistance to revolutionary policy was never really about a lack of money, or capacity, or logistics.
It was always about power and a lack of political will.
Original Tweet: https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1241105469005090819
perfect opp to make sure that our revolutionary ness is truly different.. not just ie: same song second verse english accent little bit worse
what i’m learning – things can change overnight.. (expo ness)
no more same song
interesting what ‘non-essential’ gatherings are disbanded: schools, work-places, (supposed to’s.. of school/work et al), mega-gatherings, gyms (people have time to go outside more.. natural movement), airports, restaurants, ..
and that (hopefully) more are getting a wak-up call.. zoom out view.. to the big monopoly game we keep perpetuating.. when they see ‘impossibilities‘ happen ie: debt/rent/mortgage suspended/dismissed, reset of the game – everyone getting new money – no strings, people bypassing money exchange just to get resources to people in need
10 people or less – missing piece #2 – be w fam – 7ish people – 30 min/day