[the morphing of a name]
The experiment began with the title.. TSD (Thompson School District) Innovation Lab. Named by kids in the lab. (2010)
- TSD to show/model/protogype a connected adjacency with the district.
- Innovation to symbolize something different, a new combo.
- Lab to emphasize experimentation, sandbox-ness.
- be – because our focus was setting an individual free – be you.
- lab – still a sandbox.
A main vision/statement of success, (early on), was that the lab would no longer exist. a lab would become a mindset. Bound by no location, title, experiment, ….
- a – an indefinite article, fitting for an indefinite experiment, for an in-definitive space. blurring the lines of physical/mental ness.
- lab – perpetually in beta, perpetually in the sandbox.
before settled on ‘lab’ – really wanted to use the term ‘commons‘ – but push back on that was fierce.