How this might play out.
[see bottom of page for updates]
We’re imagining crowded/stressed school buildings start emptying out as people realize options available to pursue interests. As buildings empty, restructure existing buildings to facilitate this useful notion of space – but not restricted to previous stated ages – and building could be combos (ie: highschool bldgs): youmedia center-ish, middle school bldgs: maker space – ish, elementary bldgs: mission hill – ish). We’d like to restructure at least one elementary, one middle and one highschool over the next year. The whole idea of community owned spaces.
We’d like to acquire a space for the physical collaboratory/maker space – like a combo of mission hills/maker/youmedia as model. [originally – Possibly 965,000 for purchase of 7000 sq ft.] (1 mill space and tech infusion)
A space to host conversation & making/doing/being.
- Tech heavy. Ability to livestream, archive, skype/hangout/junto in and record. Ongoing video for documentary of entire year as time lapse, bird’s eye view even. Stations at windows for people to overlook the city and add dreams to city google sketch up. (Deb Roy style)
- Listen heavy. As the web teaches us about lurking until we trust, about transparency, so we don’t waste time being other people. This will be a space to model how tech can help us listen to the silent and see the invisible. (Monica Anderson style)
- Home heavy. Our kitchen table of sorts, so that the convos are about us, becoming us. So an actual bar and sink and fridge and table. (BIF HQ style)
- Useful heavy. Some office spaces for people to work, dry erase boards, as privacy walls when needed, everything on wheels or suspended. (Jason Fried style)
- Plan is that soon that funding would be self-supported within our community. It would be a means for any entrepreneurs, but especially students, to jumpstart their dreams. ( think – a local kiva, kickstarter)
A meeting space for district, city, esp as they are collabing.
- potential office spaces, ie: creative sector, district innovation lab, artspace, ace
- round table, world cafe meet ups, intro-ing lab thinking to community
We’ve crowdsourced some communities of practice in Loveland that are seeking space:
- A Maker Space, for robotics, programming, etc. We’d like to purchase something like the property on jefferson & 3rd. [Also potentially house a more high end maker space within the agilent building.]
- We were given a space (be you house) for our experimenting with space detox, a space to learn what it means to be. We’d like to pay the renter for his previous year’s donation of space, wifi, and utilities.
- Perhaps another temporary space focused on practicing self-conversation (detox), and person to facilitate that space.
We’re looking at several other spaces, that we’re dreaming about because of crowdsourcing:
- A space (house east of be you) for video/photo/graphic design, staffed by 3 district employees. We’d like to pay rent and ½ – full salaries. Brett G, Jen(1 mill)
- A space for dance, theatre, etc, (good fellows on 4th). Low payment, if any, and probably manned by homeschooler/unschoolers, theatre teachers
- A space especially for younger people, where their only pay is sharing a curiosity, filled with mentors that would get to know the young people by focusing on strewing their curiosity the next visit. (Blas – paid facilitator, 900 retired teachers)
- A space(s) for future of pi lab [a local, more personal hub for the city, vs the collaboratory space as national/global outreach] within one space or spread about but incorporating holistic human capital ie: conversation – making – culinary kitchen – wellness center – food pharmacy – staples farm.. (Heather – paid facilitator). (1 mill)
- A space for physical fitness & sports business/gaming – Cleveland & 4th? (1 mill) nick, cristian – city as obstacle course – soccer field
- Museum renovation – geo cache, et al. Antero, owen (1/2 mill)
- Tunnel – skatepark. (1 mill)
- 1st & railroad homeless hotel – via Doug (1 mill)
- bed & breakfast – as an apprenticeship center, and as a space to house visiting sabbaticals and/or youth hostels – uncollege thinking (1 mill) –
- wilderness/wildlife preservation/research – via Ray, seth (1 mill)
- horse/animal ranch – Willow/Natalie (1/2 mill)
As people move out of existing school buildings, would like to start to restructure at least 3 to model and prototype our 4th year vision, where schools are more spaces of vast exposure, resource and meet up places – for any age – and building could be combos. Looking at perhaps:
- BFK Elementary – elementary bldg model via mission hill – ish and patchwork – ish and brightworks – ish.
- Bill Reed Middle School – middle school bldg model via maker space – ish.
- Thompson Valley High School – high school bldg model via youmedia center-ish and city neighbors high-ish.
(1 mill each)
[updated version of city as floorplan/school]
Other things we’d like to start up or have.
- City wifi, or at least major hubs, and devices Greg Hill disruptive dept, Kosta Grammatis ahumanright.org (1 mill)
- app to ground chaos convo, ai (Road Narrows, Monica Anderson, ), etc – huge (1 -2 mill) – google (similar to their fall 2013 beta)
- Zip bike, pedicab, creative means of transportation (1/2 mill)
- frequent flyer miles – to help fund people coming or going
- expert architect(s) for all the school remodel and skatepark and etc., creating these spaces (1 mill) http://www.honestbuildings.com/
- telling the story, sharing the vision, pbs, soulbiography, book (Steve, Nic Askew, Al, tenfold, Weezie) (1 mill+)
by my count, 18 to 20 mill, to change a city, a visual, a model, to help believe believe in doing what matters. crazy? who’s to say. 17.9 mill just for colorado race to top initiatives. plenty of research to question the craziness of that. [more on ridiculous funding, ie: 900 bill in 2010..] 20 – 50 bill on testing 1.3 trill ed as #2 market in us
we would model how a city might look if govt ed funding (that already exists) came per census for any district/city wanting to join in. any city/district/state being bold enough to decide they’re more about betterness than busyness, more about breathtaking than mediocre, more about brilliant than status quo, more about setting people free than mindlessly getting through the day, that they would rather pump adrenaline into souls, than money into dependency on consumption of things that don’t last, or measure things we don’t really care about.
why: free people
how: create spaces of permission
what: gatherings that matter (call that school)
[most recent updated/thinking.. if equity is everyone getting a go every day.. redefining public education becomes revolution of everyday life.. aka: global equity .. ie: hlb via 2 convos that io dance.. as the day..[aka: not part\ial.. for (blank)’s sake…].. a nother way]